CST 338 - Module 4

 This week in CST 338, there were few assignments to complete. This time we got to get our hands on Android Studio, where we created very simple app where android users can convert temperature °c to temperature °f, or vice versa. We also got to complete our first project, where we practiced inheritance using an abstract class, and concrete classes.

However, besides that, we were also allowed to go back to our previous assignment, Markov, and have our teammates review each other's code. I worked with my teammate Ryan Matsuo and after reviewing his code, I learned a few things that could help me in the future, like splitting a string using str.split() with a regex of "\\s+" instead of what I did which was more complicated.

My strategy with solving the Markov assignment was that I started writing the code right away. I didn't put anything to practice into paper because I feel I can do the same thing in the code. I would read the prompt, create stubs for the methods to be used, implement them one by one, and go back and forth trying to get the methods to work properly with each other. Once I feel everything runs properly, I test it with the Junit tests provided by my professor and tweak the code. 

Ryan's strategy was similar, he would start by reading the prompt, create the method stubs, and implement them sequentially to the prompt. The only difference is he didn't go back and forth like I did.

I'm not sure if I would change my strategy after working on the assignment because it worked well, and I finished it much more quickly than the Jotto assignment, (except for the pesky badLine() test where the program scans a line from a text that has a bunch of tabs and \n's, and has to remove them).

Besides the performance of the program, I would argue that Ryan's code follows the Google Java Style Guide quite well. Additionally, Ryan says my code is good too, and he also recommended I add "@param" and "@return" descriptions within the Javadoc comments.

Overall, this was pretty interesting week because I learned a lot of new things despite the smaller workload.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST 300 - Module 4

CST 300 - Module 2

CST 300 - Module 3