CST 334 - Module 1

 A new beginning!

This is now the first module (excluding module 0) of the next course CST 334 - Introduction to Operating Systems. 

There was quite a bit of reading, but the resources cover a lot of material. Starting with an introduction in how an operating system (OS). I have always wondered how an OS really works under the hood of what we can see as a user of our personal computers (PC's), but I've never truly looked into it. Now, I have a better understanding of what goes on. 

An OS mainly communicates between applications/users and the hardware of the PC, however, that is an overly simplified summary. It achieves this by providing tools to applications which are necessary because user's and their applications are in "user mode" and don't have the hardware privilege to read and write data stored within the computer. This is for security reasons, but applications and users are able to request the OS to retrieve and change data in their place. All the while hiding the monumental amounts of instructions from the user, and only showing what is necessary. Additionally, the OS is also responsible for managing resources, and deciding which programs to run in a given time. However, there is also the illusion of multiple programs running at the same time, but this is due to what is known as virtualizing the CPU. Though that might take me some more time to understand completely.

I should probably stop there otherwise this journal entry will end up being the size of a full essay, but that is some of the things I learned. This is also my first time using the C language, whereas before I used Java and C++, so far it was a rough start, but I eventually started getting the hang of it. I am also going to learn more about Linux which would prove to be interesting for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST 300 - Module 4

CST 300 - Module 2

CST 300 - Module 3